Friday 12 September 2014

My Favourite Tradition & A Big Idea!

Hello Lovely Friends, 

Following yesterday's inspiration posts and just the influx of videos, stories and books I've noticed lately on the power of kindness I have been struck by a big idea and before I launch this project I wanted to throw it out there to you, to get feedback and hopefully create a collaboration. 

Are you ready? 

Update (Sept 13): I've decided to change the name to something a little less, well- icky. 

Ok, so in Canada Thanksgiving is in October, so the month is generally filled with those lovely thankful feelings. This led me to thinking maybe I could create a daily or weekly challenge or link-up around being thankful and from there it wasn't a far jump to my big idea. 

I want to launch a giant (ok, hopefully) giant Contagious Kindness project, where every Friday we can gather to share our big or little acts of kindness from the week. Early in October I was going to post a giant list of ideas, and then after each Friday's link-up I'll post about all the great projects everyone undertook to keep the ideas flowing. 



To me, being kind can be a big action like volunteering or donating (money or materials) or a little action like remembering to say thank you to the bus driver or giving a stranger a smile. It's all about taking that extra step to do something kind for someone else. 

So, to sum up (I know I tend to ramble), in October I want to launch a weekly link-up where we share acts of kindness we've done, witnessed or a planning for the future in the hopes of inspiring one another to do better every day! I'm not looking for you to sign your soul away on a contract and I won't hunt you down if you don't participate but I'd love to know your thoughts or ideas on the project! 

I know Friday is host to many other link ups (especially the popular 5 on Friday) but your act of kindness could totally be one of your 5 things! 

Alright, enough rambling. 




This was one of the prompts I was most excited about, "Tell us about a favourite tradition. It could be a family tradition or from a holiday, university, you-name-it. What makes it so special?"

This tradition is a Kimberley & Jason specialty, that unintentionally has become one of the first traditions that we share as a couple. I'm excited to see how this new tradition evolves over the next few years.

Birthday Pies 

See, Jay's birthday is usually over the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend (in October), and he associates the two. So, one year I said "What kind of cake do you want?" and he said, "Pumpkin Pie." 

I freaked out. I didn't really like pie. Had never eaten Pumpkin Pie. Was pretty sure I'd hate it. Worst of all maybe, we were living far from home so no one could provide any hands on help. But, with the help of the internet I made pumpkin pie- with a crust from scratch. 



It was so good that the next day, Jay proposed. 

This year, for my birthday Jay said, "What kind of cake do you want?" and I said "Lemon Meringue Pie." So, yeah, Birthday Pies, kind of our new thing. 

Neither of us make what one would call a pretty pie, but they taste delicious so that's really enough for me! 



Who knew pie was easy to make? I sure didn't? 

Brave Love Blog



Keep Smiling :) 



4 comments:

  1. Love your post! And HOW FUNNY!!!! I was sitting, on Tuesday morning, in my daughter's nursery, waiting for her to come out and I was making a list/brainstorming blog topics/series and one of the ones I came up with was 'Kindness Fridays'!!!!!!!! (Hadn't named it properly yet!)....so I'll definitely be playing along!!!!!! GREAT!!!

    Love your pie tradition!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww that's a cute idea love!! And dude! Your hair in that photo!! LOOOOOOOOVE!! I love that pie tradition (and the fact that J proposed the next day! I die!) Birthday pies...I could get on board!

    ReplyDelete
  3. another blogger I am friend with is doing a project JUST like what you are talking about and her big sign ups ends TODAY! I'm participating. I wrote about it on Monday but if you want to get more information I would just got to her blog. Her name is Bekah. :) Hope you join us! http://bekahsresolve.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a FUN tradition to make pies for your birthdays!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit! You are awesome! xo