Thursday 6 February 2014

September 2008: How We Met.

Disclaimer: If mushy, made for TV romantic comedies aren't your thing probably you should skip this post. It's about to get all kinds of sickening around here. 

The countdown is on, less than three months until we are legally stuck with each other for life. My perspective has entirely changed from being unmotivated in the planning to beyond excited. I mean, holy crap in three months I'll be married!

All this to say Jay and I are totally that mushy too-much in love couple that makes you roll your eyes again and I've been thinking about the early days and (ok, now I'm straight up rambling), I am going to start sharing stories from when we first met, read them if you're into that and roll your eyes and get back to Pinterest if you're not!!

Onto the story...

It was the first week of third year, I was back at the newspaper and as part of my new role needed to interview people each week. I am painfully shy and pathetic (sometimes) so I enlisted a co-worker to join me on this adventure.

We wander out in the courtyard and we run into some familiar faces. One of my friends from high school was walking along with my co-workers friend, Jay. We stopped to interview Jay for the paper. 

The question: Have your goals or career plans changed since starting university? 

Jay's answer was full of expletives, not to be repeated but completely not the answer one would expect from him. He was also wearing one of his old V-neck sweaters and a blazer. Despite his potty mouth and questionable fashion sense I thought he was cool but then we didn't see each other for a while. 

Mid-October, it's Thanksgiving Monday, we're in the newspaper office working on that week's issue. I'm in scraggly old sweat pants and a camp shirt that I later realized had a paint stain on it. Oh, and I'm running around in my sock feet dancing to Britney Spears (sidenote: how can anyone not dance to Gimme More?) 

Jay came up to help my co-worker with pictures for the sports section. We shared my desk, I was totally obnoxious. Oh, and I was busy trying to solicit another boy I was kind of seeing to come to dinner at my Nans.

Shortly after, Jay joined my friend from high school, whom he was with when we first met, at a football game. It's no secret SMU football was enough to send me over the edge, I was decked out in my painters overalls sliding down the hill and screaming like a fool. We didn't really converse, but sat on the same bench together. I later used this as a reference to try and tell K-Fran about this mystery boy- but since we didn't really interact it wasn't particularily useful. 

These events are relevant though, because shortly after the game Jay began trying to stalk me. He asked my friend from high school for my information, but she had my back and said no, thinking he was a bit of a creeper. 

Then my co-worker started telling me on MSN (seriously, how old are we?) that his friend Jay wanted to go out with me.  I instantly became 14 again, copying the whole message to K-Fran and deciding that the co-worker was probably totally wrong. Yet, I agreed to double date with Jay, and my co-worker and his girlfriend. 

November 1st, 2008. We ventured to a SMU hockey game, it was mostly awful. I'm socially awkward, Jay's socially awkward and he was already besties with the other couple, so basically no-one talked. Oh, and Jay was busy working for the newspaper at the same time. 

Yet, I thought he was "too cool" for me in his faded black sweater, which I later found out had a huge hole in it. Still, the next morning I was hounding my co-worker for his contact information and then again via the magic of MSN we decided to go to another SMU hockey game together, just the two of us. 

This date was much more successful, we actually talked! I also confessed my deep love of Britney Spears, "I would travel anywhere in the world to see Britney Spears in concert." Somehow, Jay didn't run away and here we are 5 years later. 


One of our first pictures together, in the newspaper office.
It was university, shit got weird sometimes.
Don't judge.
If you made it to the end of this post, give yourself a high-five (I'll be impressed if you figure this out)! Next week I'm going to share some more mushy love stories, maybe about our first kiss? It's a good story, I promise! 


Keep Smiling :)



1 comments:

  1. Ohh the ABC party! You guys are adorable, and I love you greatly!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit! You are awesome! xo