Friday 1 February 2013

Why I Love Valentine's Day

My favourite day of the year is quickly approaching. This brings me great joy but every year I also always stop to ponder what it is that makes the dreaded *gasp* Valentine's Day so wonderful in my eyes. I truly enjoy Valentine's Day as much or more than my birthday, I dress in red and frolic around spreading the love.

I want to start off acknowledging, yes I am one part of the super power couple that is 'Jam' (Jay+Kim!) but my love for Valentine's Day precedes the merging of our names.

Long after the time when delivering valentines to everyone in class was required I spent days picking out the perfect cards to share with my closest and most loved friends. One year in high school those were shiny foil N*SYNC valentines bought at the now defunct Zellars. I also used Kim Possible, Sponge Bob Square Pants and Harry Potter themed valentines at some point in the past five years. I also had a lovely heart printed t-shirt from Old Navy, a heart bead necklace.... you get the picture.

I didn't give those valentines with the intention (or hope) to receive something in return. I gave them because I wanted those closest to me to know that I thought they were awesome, and that I valued their friendship and the role they play in my life. I am not one to hold back on my love, but there are those who maybe don't want full fledged love proclamations of love on a daily basis. Valentine's Day provides that chance to really reach out and give that extra hug, or kind word.

Source
I view it as a day, not about romantic love and overpriced flowers, but as a day to be a little kinder than necessary. A day to think about those you love, care about and appreciate, and better yet, why it is you love and appreciate them.

The consumeristic culture we live in has created an inescapable pressure when it comes to Valentine's Day. There is so much focus on being matched up, giving the "right gift" and having a perfect date, that it can be hard to see past this focus on the romantic. This isn't fair to those who are still on the lookout for someone they can burp in front of or yell at about the dirty laundry on the floor.

It makes me sad when completely lovely, wonderful, amazing people feel lonely, angry, or put-out on and leading up to Valentine's Day. No one deserves to feel so alone and unhappy and the thought that something that makes me happy is simultaneously making someone else sad is awful. I despise the pity club that is S.A.D. (Single's Awareness Day) because I think it encourages fantastic people who are generally content with their lives to feel like their is something wrong with them because they don't have a partner on V-Day. Once you enter a vat of angry depression it can be hard to climb out, which hugely impacts a persons ability to make the best of things.

Source
Sure it's nice to have someone give you a box of chocolates, or  *ugh* flowers but these things don't have to come from a romantic partner. You can exchange cheesy Valentine's gifts with your friends, family, or coworkers. For that matter a gift doesn't even need to come from another person, I am a big believer in showing yourself a little love once and a while. You have to love yourself if you want other people to see how truly fabulous you are, and trust me, you are awesome!

If you are in a romantic relationship, it's still not about the gifts, flowers, chocolate or other heart shape spoils being sold in every store. Expecting gifts can lead to stress, disappointment and worst of all fighting over the something that is probably not worth fighting about. Sure it's always nice to know you are loved and appreciated, but that's just it, it is always nice to know you are loved. Nothing says love like paying $20 for a $4 box of chocolates, or waiting in line to sit in a crowded restaurant, right?

There will always be haters, and I understand that. In the same way that I cannot embrace a love of Halloween, Christmas or Saint Patrick's Day, I can see why Valentine's Day might not appeal to everyone. There is that old adage though, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" which certainly goes a long way.

This is quickly spiralling from coherent thoughts to a rant. I don't expect to change minds, or even particularily impress anyone with my deep thoughts. I just wanted to give a little context to the upcoming fourteen days of love and silliness that I am going to immerse myself in. Hopefully this overly long and angst filled post hasn't scared you away! I'd love to know what your favourite holiday is and how you celebrate!

Regardless of your relationship status or your feelings about Valentine's Day, I want to let you know that you are loved, and appreciated and downright freakin' awesome. A box of chocolates doesn't define your worth,  you do.

Keep Smiling :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit! You are awesome! xo